What is Shoots Food Club?
Shoots Food Club project provides people throughout St Helens with bags of fresh fruit, vegetables and salad at affordable prices.
The scheme gives customers access to high quality produce at local food clubs held throughout the town.
Shoots was set up by Helena Homes in 2007, but was handed over to community volunteers to run as a social business in April 2011.
Members of Shoots can buy a bag of fresh fruit and vegetables for just £3 - half the price of what it would cost at a supermarket - and six free-range eggs for just £1.15. The clubs are friendly and relaxed, and the project has many regulars who come along each week for a chat and a catch up. As well as providing healthy food bags, Shoots also runs allotment projects and cooking lessons for local residents.
Sourcing most of its produce locally, the scheme helps to keep customers' cash in the community and invests in local clubs.
Would you like to join Shoots Food Club and treat yourself to some top quality seasonal produce? You'll be feeling healthier and wealthier in no time.
To sign up, find out more or to get involved with Shoots, contact Jennie Williams, Chair of Shoots, on 07920 768 601.
How it works
- Fresh fruit and vegetables are delivered by Your Choice and unpacked by St Helens Probation Service.
- The Probation Team set off to work packing the different area’s orders. When a food club’s order is completed, the Probation Supervisor counts the packed bags to ensure the bags are correct.
- The delivery driver for Shoots arrives to collect the packed fruit/vegetables/salad bags and drops the correct orders at each food club.
- Volunteers then provide members with their goods and take any orders and money for the following week’s food club.
- The volunteers from each club then pass any orders onto the Project Co-ordinator who then contacts Your Choice with the numbers for the following week.
Click here to find your nearest Shoots food club