Important gas servicing and policy information for your safety
Helena Homes as your landlord is legally bound to carry out annual servicing and safety checks to all its properties. As a tenant you too have responsibilities and this section sets out what these are, how to avoid putting yourself at risk from unsafe gas appliances and what you can expect from Helena Homes.
The servicing programme is scheduled over an agreed 11 month period and all servicing and safety checks are carried out by Helena Propertycare. A first notification letter will be sent to you four weeks in advance informing you of the service date and the importance of allowing Helena Propertycare access to your property. A second notification letter will be sent out one week in advance, reminding you of the service date. If you allow access to your property on the first visit you will be entered into a free prize draw to win £100.
On completion of servicing and gas safety checks, Helena Partnerships will undertake Quality Assurance checks to ensure our high standards of service are maintained.
IF YOU SMELL GAS OR FUMES:
- TURN OFF the gas at the meter
- OPEN all windows and doors
- EXTINGUISH all naked flames
- KEEP people away from the affected area
- DO NOT USE electrical switches
- CALL the National Grid on freephone 0800 111 999
Contact Helena Homes IMMEDIATELY on 01744 63 73 83 if you know or suspect your gas appliance is not working correctly.
Helena Propertycare will:
- Ensure that all gas appliances, flues, gas pipework, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors installed by Helena Partnerships are maintained and operated in a safe condition. They will carry out a visual inspection of your gas cooker if you have one
- Ensure that a record is kept of each annual gas safety check and service
- Make you aware of where the gas meter is located and how to turn off the gas in an emergency
- Ensure that you receive a copy of the current gas servicing record, (Landlord’s Gas Safety record) on the day of the service being completed
If your central heating or hot water fails our contractor will attend within 24 hours (usually that day). Any follow up repairs required to your gas appliances, flues or pipework will be undertaken (if the works can’t be completed on the first visit) as soon as possible but within 5 working days. Routine repairs will be carried out within 20 working days in accordance with our Repairs Policy. Priority will always be given to customers who are totally without heating or hot water.
We will seek to maintain existing gas appliances for as long as they are in a safe working condition. If your appliance becomes uneconomical to maintain in a safe working condition, it will be replaced.
If your heating system breaks down you should contact Helena's One Call Service on 01744 637383. Our Emergency call out team will attend as soon as possible to ensure your system is in a safe condition. No repairs will be undertaken by the emergency call out team. To ensure you have a source of heating, at least one 2 kilowatt electric fire will be left with you until the system is repaired. Additional temporary heaters are available if needed.
If you smell gas or fumes you should contact National Grid immediately on 0800 111 999.
Some Questions Answered
How do I know that Helena Homes has sent a Gas Safe registered contractor?
We always use Gas Safe registered contractors and engineers. Before allowing access to your property, please check their identity by asking to see their Gas Safe registration card.
What gas equipment is Helena Homes responsible for?
Helena Homes will maintain, service and carry out a safety check on all gas appliances and flues that we have supplied and installed. We will also maintain and repair your own gas fire providing that you have applied for and received permission to install the appliance and have the manufacturer's instructions.
What will happen if my gas appliance fails the annual service inspection?
Helena Homes' Gas Safe registered contractors will, where possible, carry out any repairs to the appliance. Where parts are obsolete or the appliance is beyond economical repair, the appliance will be replaced. Please note that this does not include your gas cooking appliance.
If I have not seen a copy of my gas service record, what should I do?
Helena Homes is obliged by law to provide you with a copy of the latest gas safety record. If you have not received a copy within 28 days of the service, please contact Helena Homes and we will send you one.
What if I don’t have a gas supply in my house?
Helena Homes is still obliged by law to undertake a gas safety check to your home. This applies even if the last safety check showed that there were no gas appliances or gas supply present.
What If I refuse to allow the contractor access to my home?
If our contractor is refused access to your home to carry out gas safety checks and servicing work, Helena Homes will take action to gain access through the courts if necessary. You will also be in breach of your tenancy agreement.
You should be aware that in all cases to date we have been granted access by the court and our tenants have been ordered to pay our costs of £400.
Your responsibility as a resident
Helena Homes' maintenance records are computerised, so our contractor will automatically undertake a gas safety check every 11 months. Most of our residents co-operate with this, allowing the inspection to be undertaken quickly and efficiently. As a Helena Homes resident, you have certain responsibilities.
- Allow prompt access to your home to carry out maintenance or safety checks on gas appliances, flues, and gas pipework, installed by Helena Partnerships.
- Not use or allow the use of any appliances which you know or suspect could constitute a danger.
- Always keep the appointment made for your gas safety inspection.
- Give our gas contractor reasonable access to your home. Failure to do so is a breach of the terms of your Tenancy Agreement and could result in legal action to enforce access or end your tenancy. We hope this will never be necessary, but we will not hesitate to take action where the health and safety of our residents or their neighbours may be at risk.
Click here to find out how to contact our local neighbourhood offices>
Click here to go to the top of this page>